Things That Make My Day

Things That Make My Day
Think. Ideas. Do.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Abueva - The Power of Form - Exhibit at the Met

Last Saturday, National Artist Napoleon Abueva celebrated his 84th birthday at the Metropolitan Museum at Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas located along Roxas Boulevard.

I considered myself lucky to be invited.  I was also invited at the opening, but i was indisposed and couldnt make it - so i found myself doubly lucky to make it to his birthday.  The "full" exhibit ended last month, the 31st of January.  The bigger pieces has since been returned to the owners - some to the Abuevas, a few to the Consunjis.  As a matter of fact, someone told me that Mrs. David M. Consunji was the lady in white lace.  Most of the Consunji art works were abstracts - and as i viewed them with a great deal of pleasure, i felt the power of motion expressed in the abstracts.  They were mostly bas-relief 

i loved the carabaos, but my favorite piece - the black glossy family of 3 that was roughly half a mil was simply not there, i looked for it and asked my friend and classmate if it had been sold but she wasnt sure
if you want to see a pic of this, hit the arts-and-friends label on the left and you will see it

i liked the bust of my friend Amihan, the eldest of his kids - and that of Duero, the youngest son.

my friend Alice likes the Judas kiss, the surface of this piece reminds me of the Easter Island heads.

i love the circular slatted room, and if i were lavishly rich, i'd have it near the pool, but protected from the elements.  you would know why if you had seen it.

i also would buy the doors, if i had a castle or mansion to showcase it.  lovely doorway - a gateway to beauty and spiritual peace.

btw, it isnt too late to see some of them, only the larger pieces have been removed.  you can still view the smaller items - 

the Met is open Mondays-Saturdays.  Go see it, and maybe buy a few, especially if you can afford it

No comments:

Post a Comment