Things That Make My Day

Things That Make My Day
Think. Ideas. Do.

Friday, July 3, 2015

Alab - Chef Tatung's new place near Shakey's Morato

We finally got to try Chef Tatung's new resto near Tomas Morato last night.  I had eaten at Chef Tatung's place in Sikatuna several times before and liked his food but found his BGC place to far so regretfully, we dropped eating at his place.  We - my close friends - are Kyusi kids and dont like driving through endless traffic just to eat out.  There are, of course, exceptions.

 My balikbayan cousins, Baby Pilar and hubby Phil - chose 2 unusual dishes, one with chicken, the other with shrimps and coconut noodles. twas very good.  i will try to cook a reasonable facsimile sometime and see if i can approach the flavor.

Our chosen appetizer was ampy (short for ampalaya, that is, bitter lemons), with radish, red onions, and thinly sliced tomatoes, and a very good blend of vinegar.  really very good vinegar.  i will try and blend my vinegar similarly.  this was an excellent appetizer indeed.

my choice -- morcon and crispy pata. let me tell you about it.....

i have to say that the family recipe for morcon beats his by a mile, at least.
but then, ours is a classic recipe and his was meat with a boiled egg inside and tomato-based sauce.
very tender though.

his crispy pata had lemon grass  cooked with it, which reduced the "umay" factor but also changed its classic favor.

the bibingka was fine and his chocnut cake was the same - as when he was in Sikatuna,,,, same recipe no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment