Things That Make My Day

Things That Make My Day
Think. Ideas. Do.

Monday, January 14, 2013

To lose a dog

Only someone who has lost a beloved dog will understand what Neil Gaiman had to say in his 12 January 2013 post about Cabal, his big white dog.  In this particular blog post, he remembers the day he picked up Cabal in his mini, and til his death last Saturday.  Read about this blog in the link below

 The post ends this way and i quote:

I'm so glad I knew him. I'm so glad we found each other. I don't imagine I'll ever have another bond like that in my life. I wish dogs lived longer.

Kipling said it best
:

THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way

From men and women to fill our day; 

And when we are certain of sorrow in store, 

Why do we always arrange for more? 

Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.


We can beware all we like. But the poem is called the Power of a Dog, and it is a very real power, and it is, as Kipling knew, a good thing.

He was the best dog in the universe and I'm going to miss him so much.

Neil Gaiman wrote about the Endless in his Sandman series - this would be Dream (also the Sandman), Death, Destruction,  Destiny, Desire, Delirium, and Despair); my favorite being Dream.  The Graveyard Book, Coraline, Neverwhere, Good Omens (with Pratchett), American Gods, Stardust, and a lot more.  Anansi Boys, for some reason, is slow reading for me.  But my favorite book remains about the cat - have the book in glorious illustration..... i digress again. I like his illustrated books.  they have a sense of wonder all their own....


Click here to go to Neil Gaiman's blog


I have lost 2 dogs that i have loved very much, one was Princess, a Peke who developed paralysis of the rear legs and was suddenly cured, then died in her sleep a few years after; she was about 15 years old.  The other one was Yoda, a toy terrier who slept in bed - my bed, and ate human foot (yes, he loved meat and he certainly looked like the Jedi Master) who died at age 17.  I no longer have any pets - also, i am now a KT person and i avoid stuff that may trigger allergies and the like.  My cats live outside the house (they frequent the terrazo and the garage), and i feed them cat food.  It was actually a sibling who encouraged the cats, they were ...... "dayo" and because we fed them, they - and their generations - stayed.

will post pictures after i have them scanned


No comments:

Post a Comment