Things That Make My Day

Things That Make My Day
Think. Ideas. Do.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Reading habits ... what do you read?

What do you read?
You dont read?  what!!!
Of course you do, you got to this blog, didnt you....

maybe the question is, how many hours do you spend reading?

It takes a special interest for me to read non-fiction, that is, biographies and other historical ones.  The lives of the Kennedys - for example.  My mom adored Jackie O. so we bought all sorts of stuff for her on Jackie O. - magazines, books, fanzines, photobooks.  I moved beyond that and read not only about her life, but also of the Kennedys.  That was a very interesting read.

Then, there are the technical books.  Having a Master's degree in Finance and almost master's degree in Mathematics (i was shy 9 units to a master's degree) meant tons of books in Finance, lots of Accounting books, lots of Mathematics and Statistical books (yeah, i had a Bachelor's degree in Stat).  I also read books on computers (i was in IT for a lot of years, and i am a very good analyst, if i do say so myself.).  The technical books can be fun, if you will still use it.  I especially like security features, because i love hackers.

I also read historical stuff - on say the gold rush to the West.  The Oklahoma homestead rush.  Fascinating times.  And let us not miss historical stuff on Europe.

Makes for nice background when one starts reading fiction. You can feel the background when you say read a Regency Romance  or say a Highland story.... if have a feel of the background.  Lots of women read Romance - we all start early .... in High School.

I also read philosophical stuff - you know,  Confucious, Sun Tzu (Art of War) - my Chinese guys, 
Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Euclid  - (i call 'em my Greek guys), 
Rene Descartes, Blaise Pascal (also a Math guy), Jean-Paul Sartre (who i associate with one of my good friends who has passed away) ... my French guys.  
My American guys are younger like Bertrand Russell, America being much younger.  
and many more books (i come from a family of readers - both maternal and paternal sides)

And i read fun things (dont you?).  One of my sisters read Tintin... and well, i have little to poor resistance reading comics or cartoons so i went on and read them.  I read Johnny Hart (BC) and Charles Schultz (Peanuts), then i added Tintin and the Captain, and the colatura singer whose name escapres me at the moment ... and the parrot's "Blistering Barnacles" recital.  Then she - my sister brought home a Calvin and Hobbes and i now have the Complete Calvin and Hobbes. It makes for wonderful reading, and if one is feeling a little down, a few pages of Calvin will do the trick and uplift one's spirits. My mom liked Archie comics so we had that too.  Also on Casper, Wendy, Spooky (the ghost with the doiby) and Poil, and Hot Stuff. 

For scary, well - enough authors do the scary ..... Kay Hooper has a bunch of them, and we (well, some of my books belong to the family) well, have the Russia's best Ghost Stories.  There is the graphic novels of  John Constantine (no, not the Keanu Reeves version, but the Brit guy who sells parts of his soul to the guy downstairs). There are other scary books but i normally reserve reading them in daylight.

Then there is science fiction and fantasy.
I think i read all the TOS books until the Vulcan stories, including those adapted by James Blish (adapted from the episodes, that is), the Log series.  I have read a few of Picard's adventures but most of them copy TOS adventures so i simply got tired of reading them.  I read a few Star Wars.  Then all of Isaac Asimov's books, which includes the Robot and Foundation series.... and tons more.  If you have one you want to recommend, lemme know.

Then fantasy.  There's Tolkien who i love.  I mean how could you not love someone who developed the Elven and Dwarven languages.... the guy who wrote the epic Silmarillion - of Turin and the dark blade.  The Sundering of the Elves.  Such drama! 

There is Neil Gaiman - who wrote about the Endless ... including Dream, or ... the Sandman and Death, the goth girl.  The Price (my favortie short story)

I like Anne Bishop - who wrote about the Jewels and the Others

And then there are detective stories.  I like Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey - and i have read all i can get my hands on.  I have read all of Dame Agatha Christie's books (and i also like the Doc Who story about her) and of course, Sir Conan Doyle's Complete Sherlock Holmes. I can still name the title of the story or tell the story given the title......

and tons more......contemporary authors .... 
if you have a suggestion, do comment and let me know
or simply, if you want to discuss a book, comment away

yes, you guessed it.  i read very fast. indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment