Things That Make My Day

Things That Make My Day
Think. Ideas. Do.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Saturday evening, the 13th of September - 2 Maginhawa restos

I had gone to the National Kidney and Transplant Institute when the laboratory opened. to have blood extracted. so when i got home, i hit the bed for some more Zzzs.

At about lunch, my friend Alice texted me to ask if I was inclined to go out for dinner.  So i said yes, but i would sleep first.

I had to have my car wipers repaired so i asked the mechanic to drop by (it was most likely a replacement), and get the wipers so he can buy the correct one.  Alice and Manny are so nice that they asked me if i was attached to the car, and if i wasnt, to just sell it and borrow theirs (they have 2) when i needed one.  Really wonderful people, dont you agree.

Anyway, we went off to Maginhawa - supposedly to Black Bean and Soup place.  We all have been there before, when we had an Arts and Friends exhibit.  We were meeting another school mate, Joey, or Dr. Joel.  Alas, Black Bean was closed and they started thinking of the resto right beside it, which was Van Gogh is Bipolar.... however, we didnt have Robert (of Papemelroti) so we decided to try the nearby Jeepney Stop.

Interesting Place. We got the Ayala Special - that was good for 2-4 people. We were at 2 tables that were joined so they divided the viands into 2.  It was alright, but the chicken ass could have been better.
See, the thing is, Joel and I cook quite extensively so we tend to be a tad more critical.... so we were slower to eat.  And well, yes, Joel and I could have cooked better .... but like i said, it was alright

they didnt have coffee and dessert so we hied ourself to Cool Beans, a library cafe.
The library part did not register with me .... see, a library to me means books can be borrowed and taken out, it was more like a reading room - that means  you can only read in the room, right?
See, they brag that they are the only library cafe .... hmmm, not quite - unless i was wrong and you can take books home (i dont think i am wrong because people returned books to the shelves).

The Sweet Spot also has books.  The ambiance in Sweet Spot is more my thing.  See, no one complains if the groups are a little loud.  If I am with a group, the automatically, this is a social event, and social events tend to make me behave noisily, laugh loudly, and talk loud, expecially if there is big table between us.  So, I got shushed.  Mea Culpa indeed, but to me, a coffee place and a group is about talking and laughing, and NOT being shused.  I was shused for talking too loud .... but like i said, a social place, a social outing, makes for noise.  So i doubt if i will bring myself and my friends there again.

If you are alone, and want to read - this is a good place to be.  But no pika-pika food, just pastries - and of course, coffee.  In Sweet Spot you can order tiny burgers and fries (pika- food!)  So maybe no also.  I wouldnt read or study in a social place.  And if no one buys food and drinks, how long do you think this place will last?

However we did meet a fellow Sayans grad, her name is Glo, lives 2 blocks away from me, and is the third batch to graduate from Philippine Science High School.  That was good.

I also discovered there that i can no longer read Avengers and FF4 and the like.  Too much violence,  See, i was able to read the early stuff, and no way was it this way.  Poor Logan looked bestial, and this should not be the case.  what with his healing power, why would he look bestial. Yuck.  Probaby I am just a purist.

So, Jeepney stop rates a 5 for me, Cool Beans - for the loner,

but hey if you want to study there, your pwers of concentration should be excellent.  I have that kind of concentration from youth (my lola used to get angry at me for not hearing her when she would call me for lunch and i was right beside her, yet i would not here)

So Cool Beans - for the food 6, for the books - 8  (the graphic novels are plentiful... but i have my own, for those i like), for the shushing - 3 --- they should call themselves a Cafe Library.  Because food seems to be incidental.  Would i recommend Cool Beans, maybe for the loner - like Glo was, and that guy who was studying -

I always study at home - except the group work for my Master's -

Incidentally - I'd rate Sweet Spot higher than Cool Beans because there is nothing better than reading and eating, unless it be eating and reading (see a previous post)

No comments:

Post a Comment